A Shiksa on a Mission

Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife
I'm a shiksa on a mission...
It may not be perfection but it's the journey that counts

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Fits Me to a T

In the summer of 1988, my grandfather gave me a t-shirt that I ended up loving quite frankly to death. It was from the first night that Wrigley had lights for a Chicago Cubs game (anyone know the date? anyone?). And I wore that shirt until it started to disintegrate right off of my body much to my mother's chagrin. She and I had more than one "discussion" about her throwing away my wonderful shirt and me taking it out of the trash. I still miss that shirt, mom, but you'll be proud to know that I rarely pull things out of the trash to wear anymore.

I still have a little t-shirt thing going on but now it's simply an overstuffed drawer. Although I can't part with many of them, I simply don't wear t-shirts every single day. But I love something about each one whether it's the graphics or the place it's from or the music it represents. Who wants to get rid of all of that especially when brute strength can push more and more in the dresser drawers? Luckily, my good friend Sharla brought this t-shirt scarf project to my attention. And here's my attempt at the t-shirt scarf.





Mine's shorter since I did just make some very difficult cuts from the t-shirt drawer but I do like the finished product. The back is solid pieces from the shirt. If you think you might want to try this project out, I highly recommend it. Very easy and quick and fun. Who doesn't like all three of those things in one project? But I'll warn you to think about the fabric of the shirt. A few of mine were the softer cotton and they're a bit more difficult to work with than a stronger cotton shirt. Of course, if I can do it. . . .Really. It's just that easy.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the inspiration! I think it would be cool to make one with a theme--all the concert tees or (very Portland) all the microbrew tees. It was a fun little project ;)

    ReplyDelete

So that's what I have to say. What about you?