A Shiksa on a Mission

Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife
I'm a shiksa on a mission...
It may not be perfection but it's the journey that counts

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Matter of Taste

I heard this interview on Fresh Air the other day and I didn't want to get out of the car when I arrived at my destination. How inspiring is that? It was with a chef who was diagnosed with tongue cancer and subsequently lost his ability to taste. O'Henry story? No, it's a true story.

Grant Achatz is an advant garde chef who is on the cutting edge of food. He's a leader in molecular gastronomy. What does that even mean? He makes food like you've never seen. As I listened to the beginning of the interview, I was definitely thinking weirdo. But as he talked about food, I was transformed. Not that I want to make burning oak leaf shish kebabs or sorbet of celery or sweet potato gelee. I'm not sure I even want to eat it. I was, however, captivated by the way he talked about food telling a story. His restaurant has no menu which means you eat what he's serving--all 23 courses over 3 hours. It's a food experience. Still weird but maybe worth the experience.

And then he had tongue cancer and the ensuing treatment actually melted his taste buds right off of his tongue. Even more amazing is that he's pretty sure he's regained his sense of taste almost completely and he's still doing his food magic.

Take a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So that's what I have to say. What about you?