A Shiksa on a Mission

Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife
I'm a shiksa on a mission...
It may not be perfection but it's the journey that counts

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Pardon My French

Last night's dinner was actually acceptable to the masses! Hizzah!

I like to try new recipes but I also need to please three other eaters who describe their likes as:

Plain
Pizza
Eating Out

But last night I attempted something new and it was pretty much appreciated which in my life feels something akin to a slam dunk. Going for all out approval let alone praise would be aiming for the moon (unless, of course, I make rice which floors the kids every time). I got the girl child on board by explaining that it was French which means fancy to her (hence the Eiffel Tower salt and pepper). I got the boy child off the fence by reminding him that it had arugula which he knows is also called rocket and is, therefore, kind of cool regardless of how it tastes.

Feeling adventurous? Last night's dinner was a Chorizo, Red Pepper and Potato Galette from Sunset magazine. Ready for all the changes I made? You knew it was coming. First of all, I didn't use chorizo. I am a fan but I'm also picky. That's kind of funny to think about considering I've actually eaten those bacon wrapped hot dogs cooked on the streets in Tijuana. I mean I've heard about them because of course I never went to Tijuana. . . . .Uh, right. Chorizo. Since I decided to eat healthier, I'm pickier. And since we're also cutting back a few calories pre-Mexico in May, I used chicken Andouille sausage. The potatoes were red potatoes since that's what we had. And I didn't use a pre-made pie crust since I like mine. It's meat and potatoes in a buttery, flaky crust. . . .duh. But I still had to sell it. And I did.

As you can see by the pictures, the family survived dinner that was not plain, pizza or out. I now feel somewhat safe to journey on to other galettes. This is going to be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So that's what I have to say. What about you?