A Shiksa on a Mission

Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife
I'm a shiksa on a mission...
It may not be perfection but it's the journey that counts

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Cilantro

Oh, cilantro. . . I once had a friend in college who broke up with a seemingly great guy. When listing his many faults and the reasoning behind this decision, his excessive use of cilantro was mentioned. I've never thought about anyone's feelings about spices one way or another being a relationship deal breaker but taste is a very funny thing.

These two bunches of cilantro were staring at me the other night. They really needed to be used and enjoyed while they were this verdant and lively. The result? Cilantro Pesto.

I put about a bunch and a half of just the leaves in the food processor with two cloves of garlic and about a handful of pecans (maybe 1/4 cup) which I whirled up while pouring olive oil through the chute. The amount of olive oil depends on your preference (don't want to upset any significant others if you like it saucy but she prefers a chunkier sort of paste). Then I added some pecorino romano, a pinch or two of salt and some pepper and whirled it up again. Done.

The awesome thing about pesto is you can make it out of just about anything. And I do. But I think I'm partial to cilantro and I'm really glad that my marriage has survived this fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So that's what I have to say. What about you?