A Shiksa on a Mission

Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife
I'm a shiksa on a mission...
It may not be perfection but it's the journey that counts

Monday, April 18, 2011

Word

I'm currently reading a book called The Alphabet Versus The Goddess. The general theory behind it is that the creation of an alphabet and move to a more literate society also moved us from matriarchal to patriarchal. So, yeah, it's some light reading. It's all very interesting in a geeky way but I have to say that I had a hard time with the basic idea since I'm a complete word junkie and also a fan of the Goddess. Words and books are my drug of choice. Hello, my name is Bradi and I can't stop reading the written word. Thinking about words and the change in society led me to thinking about all the books I have read and still want to read. So I thought I'd share some bizarre little books that just popped into my head recently. These books fall under the kind of cult classic book. It grabbed you. It surprised you. Someone told you about it and you had never heard of it before. The book that you thought would be good and it was so much more. It lingered. That kind of book.

Geek Love by Katherine Dunn
is a for those of you who were wondering what it would be like to intentionally create your own family of freaks for your own carnival. If you were wondering that, let me assure you that it's a frightening future. This book is creepy and disturbing and I could not put it down. The narrator is a bald albino hunchback dwarf who was deemed too normal by her family but allowed to work at the carnival despite her lack of true oddity. Enough said?

The Secret History by Donna Tartt is a strange story of a group of students who move from studying ancient Greek to murder. It may seem like a leap but this books draws you in and makes it real.

White Teeth by Zadie Smith is the first novel by this author. And, to me, her best. It was a little bit rocky at the very beginning but it pays off in so many ways. There are so many characters and they are all interesting and rich in strange twisted ways. Their lives intersect in billions of different ways. And the language creates a whole other world.

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy has such a beauty of language and tragedy, I get sad just thinking about it. I loved this book. And I'm fascinated by the author because is a tiny dynamo of intelligence and raw courage. Not only did she write this wonderful novel, but she writes essays and speaks as an activist. She's fascinating. And so are her characters.

Next up for me?
The Magus by John Fowles since it's the one that other people have told me they loved and I hadn't heard of it. But after a few of my reading-est friends said they loved it, I was sold.

Unless anyone out there has another suggestion. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

So that's what I have to say. What about you?