A Shiksa on a Mission

Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife
I'm a shiksa on a mission...
It may not be perfection but it's the journey that counts

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Happiness in a Jalapeno

Okay, so life has been less than peachy keen in these parts what with the disappearing wallet, concussed boy and my recent decision to wrap my left hand around a burning hot skillet handle. All bad things. But no more. It's a new day. I have a new driver's license which, to look on the bright side, has my correct hair color on it. Well, at least for now.

And what better way to seize the day by the proverbial horns than to make something out of raw materials. I have peppers and I love pepper jelly but I have yet to make a successful batch. Luckily the "mistakes" are delicious too, they just lack something I've been aiming to achieve. Mainly I want to make the jalapeno jelly that my mom's friend gives to her for Christmas every year. I know. I know. Just ask, right? Wrong. He won't share. He doesn't play nice with others. And also he sells the jam so I kind of get it. I guess.

I'm feeling pretty positive about this batch. And if it doesn't work, I have to admit that the act of cooking simply makes me feel better. I know many people try to avoid it but I love to roll up my sleeves and play with food. Plus, making jelly and jam always reminds me of watching my grandmother in her kitchen. And then I'm smiling.

With today's rare sun, the burst of green from the peppers to the trees and a chance to make something to share with my friends, I feel like I'm on the right track.








1 comment:

  1. i hear you with the cooking! Sometimes it doesn't even matter what the result is, its the whole creative process that just takes you out of the everyday, especially when the day in the everyday has been a bit "rubbish"! (that's the polite word, you can insert another!) *grin*

    ReplyDelete

So that's what I have to say. What about you?