A Shiksa on a Mission

Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife
I'm a shiksa on a mission...
It may not be perfection but it's the journey that counts

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Herbal Ideas

Although we've had more rain and less sun than usual which is saying something, we are on our way to spring if only in my iron resolve. And I've planted herbs to get the ball rolling. Veggies are coming but it's going to take another couple of warm days to thaw me out completely. Until then, I'm pretty smitten with the herbs growing right outside my front door.

Now it's finding all the right things to do with these beauties. I have some ideas.
One idea is herb infused vodka. I've done this before when we had a mountain of cucumbers in the garden. They'd make lovely gifts. And imagine the summertime cocktail possibilities.
Another idea is herbs in savory pie crusts. I'm a sucker for pretty much anything in a pie crust so I picked up Martha Stewart's New Pies and Tarts cookbook on a recent trip to the library. And then I promptly fell in love. Some of these herbs are definitely going to decorate a pie crust.
I've been dying to make some herbal vinegars and jellies from this cookbook. Lavender Jelly. Rosemary Jelly. Tarragon Vinegar. Oh, the possibilities from my garden to my shelf. I'm looking forward to little bits of spring and summer in jars lining my kitchen walls.
But for now, I have little herb plants that are hoping for some gentle spring sun and then we're all going to bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So that's what I have to say. What about you?