A Shiksa on a Mission

Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife
I'm a shiksa on a mission...
It may not be perfection but it's the journey that counts

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Pineapple Express

The combination of a sunny day, a friend's bbq and time to bake yielded this beauty of a tart. A Vanilla Pineapple Tart, to be exact.
It didn't hurt that pineapple was on sale. Double bonus that the pineapple was perfectly ripe, sweet and delicious.
It sliced up easily and I had to taste a few for good measure.


As the pineapple simmered with the sugar and vanilla, the entire kitchen began to smell like a tropical paradise. I could live there.

Made up some pie crust.

Put my hard earned muscles into it.

Here's where I started to fade in my Martha-hood. She makes a perfect lattice top and then freezes it. I felt no need to do that. Instead I made the lattice top and froze the whole tart for about 30 minutes.
Baked to sweet, gooey, crusty perfection.

This may be one of my favorite desserts. I have a feeling it will be making more than one appearance this summer. I would love to try it with some coconut ice cream or some kind of fancy whipped cream concoction. The kids were a little upset that the adults ate the entire tart and left them with only cookies and ice cream. Oh, the HUMANITY! But I'm feeling a tad guilty about it (several days later--it takes a while for guilt to really penetrate the skin) so I think I'll make it for my mom when she's here and actually let the kids eat it. I mean, theoretically I'm going to do that.













No comments:

Post a Comment

So that's what I have to say. What about you?