A Shiksa on a Mission

Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife
I'm a shiksa on a mission...
It may not be perfection but it's the journey that counts

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Salad Days

Here's another thing I made. Same sunny day. Same friends and bbq. Add a hankering for couscous. Israeli couscous, to be exact.

I have no idea why but I saw a recipe on Closet Cooking that I really wanted but it called for quinoa and I was in the mood for couscous. Both are fun to say so I figured the salad would be just as tasty (Flogic is contagious).
The onions became shallots because I had them. And I really love shallots. But really because I already had them.
The white beans almost became garbanzo beans but I stuck with white beans. I think either could work. I might have to try it next time.
Bacon stayed bacon (sorry, Vegetarians of the World, but you could leave out or substitute with the fake stuff). This bacon is actually pepper crusted and applewood smoked. It's delicious.
The beer has nothing to do with the recipe but I was so happy that Reg bought it for us and it was a good beverage to enjoy while cooking. Feel free to consume any beverage you want with this recipe. I do, however, recommend Stone since it's one of the bestest beers out there. Sorry, Portland, but I speak the truth.
Blue cheese became ricotta salata. I don't know why. I kind of felt like blue cheese would overwhelm. But I think the ricotta salata was underwhelming (I think it just wasn't good enough cheese). It wasn't bad. I just like ricotta salata because it's a super salty cheese. This one was not. Next time I'm doing feta. Count on it.

Spinach and mushrooms remained the same.

Bacon first and then carmelizing the shallots and mushrooms. Again, the smell. Just spectacular.
Deglazed the pan with red wine vinegar, dijon and garlic. Then it's beans and spinach until it wilts.
And then everything is mixed together with salt and pepper. And eaten in copious amounts.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds super yummy! I think I'll try this, minus the bacon and going back to the blue cheese. Erik isn't a big fan of quinoa so I've either got to go with the israeli couscous or sneak the quinoa in on him! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would also be good with wheat berries. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

So that's what I have to say. What about you?