A Shiksa on a Mission

Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife
I'm a shiksa on a mission...
It may not be perfection but it's the journey that counts

Monday, May 2, 2011

Saucy Celebrations

Cinco de Mayo is Thursday and having grown up in the Southwest and having an affinity for celebrating no matter what, I'm ready to enjoy. I know it's not really a major holiday for anyone except the makers of Corona and Tecate but I also really can't pass up a reason to eat Mexican food. I have a little recipe to share if you also want to fiesta regardless of where you grew up and whether or not it's a big holiday in Mexico. Celebrating should not need a rationalization. It just is. Deal with it.

I made this sauce last week. Very simple, adaptable and delicioso. Remember, you can add or subtract whatever you want. More heat? Mas jalapenos. More garlic? Mas garlic! Where are the onions? Add them.

In a blender, put one can of diced tomatoes (the better the can o' tomatoes, the better the flavor). The rest is your adaptation. I added:

2 jalapenos that were sliced into chunks with the seeds removed. I would add more but I live with the gringos

The juice of one juicy lime which helps cut down on the heat of the peppers

About 1 1/2 teaspoon of cumin

3 or 4 cloves of garlic

About 3/4 cup of torn cilantro leaves

1 teaspoon of Ancho Chile Powder (any will do but I like ancho because it's smoky)

A dash or two of Cayenne Pepper (again, gringos)

Salt and Pepper

Then you puree the mixture until it's sauce like. It's done!

The first night was Meatless Monday so I roasted potatoes and then when they were pretty crispy outside but not quite done inside, I added about half the sauce and continued cooking them. Wonderful! Then Thursday I made it with pork. I cut up one pork tenderloin, seared it in a pan and then threw it all in the crock pot with the sauce. After about 5 -6 hours, it was perfection. We ate it over rice with tortillas. And I'm making it again this week to celebrate Cinco de Mayo but I'm thinking of cooking it with shrimp.

Give it a try and let me know what you think. And if you happen to run into my brother, ask him to speak Spanish for you. You won't regret it. . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment

So that's what I have to say. What about you?