A Shiksa on a Mission

Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife
I'm a shiksa on a mission...
It may not be perfection but it's the journey that counts

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Cuatro de Julio

Every Fourth of July is spent with a group of friends who know their way around a kitchen and can put together a powerful party. Although this year was scaled down (as in no bounce house for the kids and half the amount of people), we still had plenty of good friends and food to enjoy. This year had a bit of a Spanish flavor--you know, the Spanish sent Columbus here and then.....whatever, it tasted good. I made these Roasted Cauliflower and Manchego Hand Pies. It's worth the effort especially if you like cauliflower which we love and you like anything in a pie crust which we do.

The roasted cauliflower
The combination of hazelnut and garlic
Cheese and dough

You put them all together and stick them in the oven. Really. It's pretty much that easy. I have to admit that I did not create the little flowers on top like Martha. I folded them over like empanadas because I'm traditional and stuff about my Fourth of July Spanish tapas.


2 comments:

  1. Oh my God! YOU made those incredible 'epanadas'? We were all raving about them! I assumed they must have come from some boutique deli in the Pearl. I'm a sucker for savory pasties -which seem so hard to find around here. Yours were memorable! Since I don't cook or even pretend to bake, I brought the watermelon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Alea! Yup. I made them. I, too, love savory tarts. And I'm definitely making those ones again.

    ReplyDelete

So that's what I have to say. What about you?