A Shiksa on a Mission

Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife
I'm a shiksa on a mission...
It may not be perfection but it's the journey that counts

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Girl Gourmet


It would be an understatement to say that Flannery likes cooking. She's in the kitchen as much as I am. It might be the bottomless pit of a stomach she has. Or her desire to open a restaurant before she reaches the ripe old age of 8. Or it could just be that she likes to cook. Whatever it is, she is always asking to make something or other. She has her own Easy Bake Oven and a set that is play baking set mistakenly titled Girl Gourmet but should be called High Fructose Corn Syrup Meets Red Dye #5. If you can't tell, I really hate that set. Mostly I hate that it's a "toy" but it doesn't keep a child occupied as much as it keeps me hovering and assisting. Maybe it should be called Pain in Mom's Ass. When it entered my house (that's how I see it), I raised an eyebrow to Reg who reasoned with what he thinks is a sturdy explanation that she picked it out and spent her own money. What was I supposed to do? Even though it is a rhetorical question, the answer is SAY NO. Just Say No. Yup. Nancy Reagan was right. And Girl Gourmet is just the gateway drug to fake cooking in my kitchen. Just Say No.

Of course, I finally had to give in too. Mainly because cooking real food keeps the Girl Gourmet set safely packed away in the depths of her bedroom. But also because she does kind of charm me with the way she keeps saying gourmet with the hard T sound. I'm a sucker for mispronounced words (under a certain age, folks, because the rest of the time it is horribly unattractive). And this kind of cooking yields food I can eat.

So we pulled out the Big Girl Gourmet
which is really the Gourmet Magazine Cookbook to make these Peanut Butter Cookies (with the added bonus of dark chocolate chips). I'm also a sucker for anything involving the brilliant combination of peanut butter and chocolate. I still have to hover a bit and assist but I can fully get behind the idea of using food as opposed to processed realistic food stuff by-products now with more flavor!

The results?
No Girl Gourmet monstrosity to choke down and pretend to enjoy.
Very little clean up.
Delicious cookies.
Win. Win. Win.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So that's what I have to say. What about you?