A Shiksa on a Mission

Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife
I'm a shiksa on a mission...
It may not be perfection but it's the journey that counts

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Reading at the Speed of Light

I did it. I read The Glass Castle by Jeannette Wells in about 2 days. It's that fast. It's that interesting. And it makes me incredibly thankful that I didn't have THAT childhood. If you are looking for something to read that will keep your interest and moves along at a steady clip, this is the book. It's sad but it's not nearly as sad of a memoir as Angela's Ashes (which really doesn't make you grateful about your own childhood as much as it makes you want to go to Ireland and then throw yourself off of a bridge).

On the other hand, I also read another book is about 2 days and it's funny. Mike Birbiglia's Sleep Walk with Me. He's a stand up comedian and story teller. I first heard about this book on NPR's Fresh Air and I knew I wanted to read it. I've heard his storytelling on The Moth podcasts (storytelling--check it out) and he is sometimes a contributor to This American Life. The book is easy to read and pretty hilarious at times. And if you are interested, listen to the interview with him on NPR.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So that's what I have to say. What about you?