A Shiksa on a Mission

Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife
I'm a shiksa on a mission...
It may not be perfection but it's the journey that counts

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Stairway is Heaven

Stairs. What to do with them? I am adamantly opposed to carpeted stairs for two very important reasons: I don't love vacuuming them and I'm a supreme klutz. I've slid down more than one set of carpeted stairs. Done.

When we moved in to this house so many many moons ago, the stairs were a strange pumpkin color with a very mustardy kickplate and I think somewhere in there was some kind of dark merlo- like purplish. In other words, it was not my thing. Since then we've tried to keep the stairs a nice white whether it's white washed or straight up white paint. Two problems with that idea. First of all, I love the white as it wears down and looks used. But Reggie is anti any kind of worn down look. He thinks dirty. I think charming. We're both right. Secondly, keeping stairs clean is worse than carpeting. I think it would just be easier if we banned the use of the stairs until company came over.

I had finally lost my mind and decided the stairs needed attention ASAP. As soon as possible, people. So I decided my course of action, bought the paint, started on the first tester step and then waiting out the rain for the next 6 months. That's right, I said as soon as possible. Ever tried to paint stairs with a neurotic dog in house? If I made a barricade, he would simply think that whatever is behind it is highly desirable and jump it. I say this from experience. Unfortunately.

But August came and I felt the urge to finish my project. Glad I did. Behold our new stairs.


Before
and
After




Nothing like a can of paint and some wall stickers I found on sale at IKEA. I'm now happier with the stairs than I ever have been before. It only took three days to finish. Three days and 12 years.....



No comments:

Post a Comment

So that's what I have to say. What about you?