A Shiksa on a Mission

Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife
I'm a shiksa on a mission...
It may not be perfection but it's the journey that counts

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Soup, Only Better

Yes, it is another post about tomatoes but cut me some slack because we had to wait until now to even get tomatoes.  The positive side of that is tomato season has exploded during soup weather.  So I was extra excited when a rainy Autumn Sunday that was ripe for soup making and a recipe for Roasted Tomato Soup with Broiled Cheddar collided.  This recipe had all the elements: roasted, tomato, broiled and cheddar.  And even better (as if it needed to get any better) was that between the roasted and the broiled was, wait for it, Rye Bread.
First you roast the tomatoes which makes the house smell like heaven's heaven.  The roasting releases all this incredible flavor.  See all that juicy goodness underneath the tomatoes? That's like sweet and savory tomato syrup.
Then you blend it up with red pepper flakes. I have to admit I'm a big fan of pretty much anything that includes red pepper flakes. Once it  has simmered with some broth for a bit, the pepper flakes give it a soft spiciness in each bite.
The finishing touch is the bread and cheese broiled top that is much like French onion soup.  It's also like tomato soup with a grilled cheese that has been turned inside out and put all in one bowl.  And it made my Sunday,  my soup weather and my tomato harvest all better than I ever expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So that's what I have to say. What about you?