A Shiksa on a Mission

Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife
I'm a shiksa on a mission...
It may not be perfection but it's the journey that counts

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Happy Hanukkah

The Festival of Lights and Things Fried in Oil. I love this time of year. I make rugelach from a Barefoot Contessa recipe but I do modify. Specifically I don't go buy apricot preserves. If I have homemade, I use that. If I don't, I substitute with what I have. This year it was citrus marmalade. Last year I did homemade apricot preserves, cinnamon and cardamom. This year was citrus marmalade, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Delicious. I usually leave out raisins because not everyone is down with nature's candy. I tend to leave out nuts too so my kids will not make that sound they make when they don't like something. It seems a little daunting making the dough with the cream cheese and then rolling it out and all that jazz but it's actually a pretty simple recipe. And so very worth the bit of effort.

We also did a little bit of frying in oil. Latkes are so utterly fabulous that I really can't do Hanukkah without them.  And who would want to? I used a very easy and somewhat plain recipe this year from Smitten Kitchen. Last year I made some latkes with parsnips and carrots that were something like this recipe. WOW! Unfortunately this was not a year to find parsnips so easily.  But I'm not complaining because Latkepalooza was a Bonafide Fried in Oil Success.
Happy Hanukkah everyone! L'Chaim!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So that's what I have to say. What about you?