A Shiksa on a Mission

Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife
I'm a shiksa on a mission...
It may not be perfection but it's the journey that counts

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Vegetables

I made this soup the other night for the kids. It has leeks, cauliflower, carrots, broccoli, garlic and garbanzo beans. That's it. That's the entire recipe. Saute. Add broth. Ta-Da! The leeks make Flannery grumpy but Emerson loves them out of spite. The cauliflower makes it the most attractive since my kids love cauliflower more than anything. My favorite part about it is the broth. I hate vegetable broth. Could never find one that I liked even the smell of let alone the taste. But I found one and it has some Asian name so I can only identify by sight at the Asian market and I buy several cans (yup, it comes in cans and is still delicious) at a time. It needs no seasoning.  Honestly.  I only added a little bit of pepper and I think it might have been out of spite because she refers to everything she doesn't like as too spicy and if she even sees a speck of black, she is sure it has too much pepper and is, by definition, too spicy. So I put pepper in everything and then when she complains I explain that everything she eats has pepper in it. It seems like a small point but I'm stubborn about spices.  This soup was universally devoured, pepper and all.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, this looks divine! Did you just saute the leeks, carrots and garlic? Or all the veggies AND the garbanzo beans?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sauteed the leeks and garlic first then added veggies for a quick saute and then broth with garbanzo beans. So perfect!

    ReplyDelete

So that's what I have to say. What about you?