A Shiksa on a Mission

Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife
I'm a shiksa on a mission...
It may not be perfection but it's the journey that counts

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Elusive Marmalade

It's summertime which is the season of  jam making here at the Five Cent Farm. Days spent preserving and canning always remind me of my grandmother. She would stand in the blazing hot kitchen canning one thing or another but she was so small (she didn't ever reach 5 feet tall) that we had to help her with the lifting and reaching. It was all worth it. I love jam. A trip to a pop up fruit stand made for an afternoon of Apricot Jam and Raspberry Jam. Two of my favorites from the summer fruits. The Apricot Jam is very tangy and the Raspberry Jam is super sweet. The only downside in the preserving and canning department is my complete inability thus far to make a decent marmalade. I tried this time with clementines and again it doesn't set up. What am I doing wrong? Why must the marmalade always elude me? I've done what I can with what I have. I have a motto now that sustains me through each and every marmalade failure: When life hands you runny marmalade, make marinade. It has worked like a charm. My last tries at Three Citrus Marmalade turned into fantastic marinade for chicken and pork and once was used in Chinese Orange Chicken. Maybe I should set out to make marinade.....


No comments:

Post a Comment

So that's what I have to say. What about you?