A Shiksa on a Mission

Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife
I'm a shiksa on a mission...
It may not be perfection but it's the journey that counts

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Pod People

Lately I am somewhat obsessed with podcasts. I can't seem to get enough of listening to people talk about whatever. Anything. All things. I find myself taking hour long walks in the morning so I can listen to an interview. I have them on while I'm cooking or driving. I'll even listen to ones while I'm getting dressed. Is there a support group? Do I need help? I don't think I've reached an unreachable valley yet but it could be coming. It kicks me into information junkie mode. I get all absorbent and sponge-like in my brain. I'm hoping the upside is I might stave off Alzheimer's for a few more years. And I always have something to talk about at any dinner table.

Here are some I am digging right now:

Neil deGrasse Tyson (my favorite astrophysicist) has a show called Star Talk. He's smart and funny and smart. I read his book about Pluto being downgraded from planet to dwarf planet. Interesting to say the least. The two episodes entitled Packing for Mars included sections about eating, farting and pooping in space. Can you beat that? Plus, he plays the Beastie Boys and in one episode he even played a snippet from the old Ash song The Girl from Mars. Love it.

The Nerdist has many podcasts but I've only had a chance to really listen to the one with Chris Hardwick called The Nerdist. You'll know what I mean when you go to the site. His interviews are fun and funny and he's not all about talking just about himself. Sometimes interviewers don't let their subjects ever talk. I despise those interviewers (Bad, interviewer, bad!). I just finished the ones with Aaron Paul, Tina Fey and Greg Proops. Cool stuff.

Stuff You Should Know is just one of the many podcasts at How Stuff Works. The hosts, Chuck and Josh, basically just describe what they have found from their own research and other contributing writers' articles. It's like listening to two dudes discuss something interesting. They're not rocket scientists but they like information. The kids and I can talk about the things they cover. We discussed Atlantis being a real place and how to shrink heads. You know, important stuff.

Radio Lab is one that I will listen to while I take an hour long walk. I like they way they take a subject and then branch off in different directions of the same theme. The episodes Colors, Guts and the Bad Show were all amazing. Truly. Wow. Listen to them.


2 comments:

  1. You listen to what I listen to! Damn, I was hoping to find a new podcast. I love the Nerdist so so much. The show from SDCC with John Barrowman left me in a helpless puddle of giggles on the floor. The man has no shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Okay. How about Pop My Culture? Funny, ridiculous pop culture ramblings. The best one was the two guys from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Also, Sklarbro Country. Comedy and sports. Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete

So that's what I have to say. What about you?