A Shiksa on a Mission

Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife
I'm a shiksa on a mission...
It may not be perfection but it's the journey that counts

Thursday, August 16, 2012

We

I found another pastime for these hot summer days....I finish what I started reading. It's not incredibly difficult to imagine beginning to read a book and then ending that process. Unfortunately parenthood often gets in the way of reading and almost always leads to problems absorbing any of the material hence my desire to sit and stare whenever the chance presents itself.

But I picked up Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris and had no absorption problems whatsoever. This novel is so engrossing. I loved it from the very beginning. It's funny and heartbreaking all at once. The writing is incredible especially considering this is his first novel. The entire novel takes place at an ad agency that is starting to lay off workers with a variety of results. The characters are scared but not enough to stop gossiping about it. I was completely drawn in from the very beginning probably even more than other novels because the entire novel is written from a first person plural "we" point of view which made me feel even more a part of the story. I loved it.

If you get a chance, check out the website. It's quite interactive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So that's what I have to say. What about you?