A Shiksa on a Mission

Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife
I'm a shiksa on a mission...
It may not be perfection but it's the journey that counts

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Funny Lady

Can I just say that I love the library? I freakin' love the library. I do. I could wander for hours. And I love that I have a library just down the street because we use it a lot. The other day as we were checking out our books, I just happened to glance at the new books and see that Samantha Bee from The Daily Show had a book out. I never knew. It's called I Know I Am But What Are You. Since I love her on The Daily Show, I snatched it up and read it in about two days. And I laughed out loud. She is downright hilarious but I warn you, she is also freakishly bizarre. This is not Bossypants by Tina Fey. I laughed out loud at that book too but Bee's book is way darker. Way darker. She's slightly insane. Comically so. And her writing is really good. She goes from her early years as a child of divorce through some tumultuous years where she swings wildly from hoping to be Jesus' girlfriend to her minor criminal offenses to her strange relationships. And she does it all with none of that pesky sentimentality. She is as vicious with her own faults as she is with any other person she describes. She's hysterically irreverent and she knows it. Her book is a peek into her absurd mind and it's well worth the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So that's what I have to say. What about you?