A Shiksa on a Mission

Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife
I'm a shiksa on a mission...
It may not be perfection but it's the journey that counts

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Poetry of Debt

Felt the need to share this book.

I read the Financial Lives of Poets by Jess Walter because it was just sitting there, staring at me. I had forgotten that Reg read it and said I would like it. Now I kick myself because I could have already been through it and several of his other books which is exactly what I want to do now that I'm done with this one. I love the feeling of finishing a book and wanting nothing more than to inhale everything else that person has ever read. I felt like that after reading Atonement by Ian McEwan. I felt like that after reading White Teeth by Zadie Smith. I felt like that after reading The World According to Garp by John Irving. And so many more. I don't always love everything else but I do like the feeling of propulsion towards more literature. It's like a high and I need another fix.

This story is about a man who is lost in a world of bad career choices, financial debt and the sinking feeling of absolute failure on its way. And it's really engaging and surprisingly sweet even though it's pretty dark. I wanted to read it every spare moment I could find. Shorter days in the Pacific Northwest means I could realistically hit the hay earlier and earlier just to wrap up in the warm quilts and this clever story.

And now I'm onto another one.


No comments:

Post a Comment

So that's what I have to say. What about you?