A Shiksa on a Mission

Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife
I'm a shiksa on a mission...
It may not be perfection but it's the journey that counts

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

What's Happening Now

Here are some of the things that are taking up space in my brain lately.

Watching:
We watched a documentary on Origami the other night. The whole family crowded on one couch, staring at the television while people folded paper and talked about folding paper and folded more paper and even made paper. It was truly quite riveting. I did not know that I needed to see an Origami documentary but I'm so glad I did. The French artist who makes Origami people statues was my favorite. My favorite paper folder. Yours?

Between the Folds



Reading:
I recently started reading The Emperor of All Maladies which is basically the Pulitzer prize winning biography of cancer. Yes. Cancer the disease. And it's fascinating to say the least. But it's also dense, at times technical and almost always overwhelmingly depressing. When I read books like this one, I tend to take little brain breaks and read something that would be considered lighter compared to cancer. So I read Mindy Kaling's book, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me and Other Concerns. And I really loved it. I have recently decided that I definitely like her. It took me a bit. I wasn't quite sure. But I read this book and now I'm hooked. Doesn't hurt that she's a huge geek. I like that. The other book that is helping me get through the cancer book is The Wordy Shipmates by Sarah Vowell. Here's another woman I have not quite been a huge fan of but I've always admired. I finally decided that what my brain break needed was some Puritan history. And who better to get it from than the queen of hipster nerds herself?

Making Me Laugh:
Here's what Reggie assures me is the most accurate representation of our mini animal kingdom home. I think maybe he has a point.


No comments:

Post a Comment

So that's what I have to say. What about you?